Dividing the Cab

Dividing the Cab

May 25, 2015 Categories Camper Van

This post may contain affiliate links. If you click one of these links and make a purchase, I may earn a commission at no additional cost to you. In addition, as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

I got a late start today due to the rain. Luckily, it only lasted for part of the morning and was pretty nice the rest of the afternoon. I caved today and decided to go ahead and completely divide the cab area from the living area. The downside of this is that I won’t be able to add a swivel seat on the passenger side later on to have a “recliner”, but the upside is that it will be a lot easier to make the living area private and keep light from escaping at night (that’s right, I’m holding the light prisoner. It’s my light and you can’t have it, darkness). In the event that I need to completely “stealth” camp, any light escaping at night is a dead giveaway.

First thing I did was frame up a wall behind the passenger seat. Nothing fancy, just some 2x2s screwed together and then anchored to the floor and the sheet metal of the original roof. I took my time to make sure that this wall was completely even with the driver side wall. Not only does this matter for adding the paneling, but it’ll matter later on when I build a door for it.

Then came the paneling. Again, nothing too fancy. I had to angle some of the boards to follow the curvature of the wall. I left about 1″ between where the boards end and the door seal sits. I plan on adding a trim piece over the end and want plenty of room for it to get nailed in place.

I like the dividing wall more than I thought I would. I’m gonna use the space on the living area side to put some coat hooks.

I put the water heater cabinet frame back in place (I had taken it out when running the gas lines) and built a smaller wall to be the opposite side of the cabinet. And yes, I know the boards aren’t even on the one end, but I’m trying to use up scrap wood and it was long enough to work. It’ll get covered up later on anyway.

Lastly, I lined the storage area with carpeting. It takes me a surprising amount of time to rough cut the carpeting and then trim it to fit just right. This area was particularly more difficult than all my other areas due to how deep the storage area is and the 45° slope towards the front of the van. I had to use staples to temporarily hold the carpeting up on that slant because of silly gravity. Once the glue dries, I’ll take the staples out. The carpeting is indoor/outdoor carpeting available at home improvement stores and it’s held in place with Liquid Nails.

I still have to build a cabinet face for the storage area, but it all ties in with the cabinet for the water heater. I’m gonna have to finish the water heater cabinet first, which means I need to get the vent duct installed (something else I’ve never done before).

Leave a Response

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *