Carpeting the Bed Storage

Carpeting the Bed Storage

May 9, 2015 Categories Camper Van

This post may contain affiliate links. If you click one of these links and make a purchase, I may earn a commission at no additional cost to you. In addition, as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Today I started lining the storage compartments inside the bed frame with some thin indoor/outdoor carpeting I picked up at Home Depot. I was hoping for it to be black, but the closest they had was a grey which is also nice. I chose to carpet my storage compartments mainly to give it a clean, finished look, but I also think it will help reduce noise from things in the compartments from vibrating against the wood during travel.

I’ll tell ya one thing, with all the different storage compartments I decided to go with, it sure made cutting the carpeting to fit around everything a pain in the butt. That, and the fact that I tried to use one solid piece of carpet to cover as much surface area as possible, including wrapping around onto a second surface. I was trying to avoid any outside corners from having a seam. It came out looking pretty good, if you ask me.

I attached the carpeting to the wood using Liquid Nails, which is something I’ve never used before. After using it, I was blown away with how well it held everything in place. I was worried I would have to make some temporary bracing to hold the carpet up and apply pressure, but the Liquid Nails just gripped it and that was that. In some areas, like when bending the carpeting around a corner, I did end up using staples to temporarily hold things in place until the glue dried.

I was also finally able to make the covers for my under the floor storage. I just took a piece of plywood and completely wrapped it in carpet to create the top and then used some 1x2s to create a lip for it to rest on. Again, I really am pleased with how it came out.

The handles for my under the floor storage lids are just a piece of paracord on each end. I drilled two holes in each end, looped the paracord through and knotted off the ends. I didn’t want to drill a finger hole in the wood like some people do because I didn’t want things to fall through the hole and I didn’t want to deal with trying to wrap carpet around the inside of a circle. The paracord handles are perfect and pretty much sit flat so they don’t interfere with things resting on top.

I wasn’t able to finish completely, as I ran out of Liquid Nails. I went through two entire tubes of it. I’ll finish up the rest of the carpeting tomorrow. I’m planning on creating a drop-in divider the protect the outlet area from the rest of the storage compartment. I don’t want to take any chances of anything causing damage to the outlet area and creating a potential fire danger.

Leave a Response

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *