Today was a small win over what seemed far too long to build such a small cabinet for my kitchen. Admittedly, I’m not actually done. My sink is not caulked down yet and I still have to connect the plumbing, but for the most part, the base cabinet is done. I plan on building upper cabinets later on, so that’s why this is only “Part 1.”
I started building these cabinets over six weeks ago. Mind you, I only work on the tiny house on the weekends for about eight hours each day so that six weeks is only 12 days of work. Then out of those 12 days, I spent a couple working on my cousin’s table, finished most of my electrical, paneled the bathroom, and installed the plumbing. All-in-all, it took me maybe seven days to build this redonkulously simple cabinet and countertop. I’m happy with how it looks, but I’m disappointed in myself for how long it took.
Since the cabinets needed to fit very specific dimensions and fit around my entire water system, I didn’t build these as normal cabinets are built. Instead, I started by building a simple frame out of 2″x2″s. It’s split into two sections to make getting it inside the house easier and fitting it into place since it’s tight between two walls. Once I had a frame built that fit around everything, then I built a cabinet face and doors to attach to it. The doors are attached using concealed hinges so the face has a very clean look.
With the face attached, I paneled out the inside of the cabinet and built a couple drawers. In front of where my sink goes, I also added a tip out tray with its special hinges for storing little things, like soap or a sponge. As you might notice from the hardware, I’m a big fan of brushed nickel and modern design. I very much like simple shapes and clean lines. Luckily I found a set of 25 of these on Amazon for pretty cheap. And, although I hope not to use it, I did build the cabinets to fit a small fridge.
Apparently I didn’t take a lot of pictures when building my countertop. It’s constructed pretty basic. I have a mix of 2″x8″s and 2″x12″s glued together to form a big “L”. I used black chalk mixed with epoxy to fill the cracks and gaps in the surface, then sanded it all smooth. I didn’t take any pics of gluing the two sections together to form the “L” shape, but the entire top is one section that just gets dropped into place. I also didn’t take any pics of staining and sealing it, so whatever.
The end result I think came out looking pretty nice. I stained the countertop relatively dark to add contrast and make it more of a focal point. Plus, I had some leftover stain from the table project and I liked how the table looked, so I used the same stain again. I went with a modern style sink and faucet, as well as a soap dispenser. Again, it’s all stainless/brushed nickel. I really love how it looks against the dark stain and white walls.
You might notice I don’t have a stove. I plan on putting in a small, two burner cooktop but haven’t found one I like that also has a price tag I like. If I move into the tiny house before I find a stove, I’ll be using a simple camping stove (outside) or the wood stove to heat things up.